In Mr. Peterson's House you can meet unusual orange doors, behind which will be what Nicky Roth is afraid of. These are Fears. Nicky Roth will have to overcome them in order not to be afraid of his weaknesses anymore. Overcoming them, the game will become easier. As a rule, phobias are somehow connected with Nicky Roth's childhood.
In Pre-Alpha, a nightmare sequence can be seen by getting caught by Mr. Peterson. You will wake up in your room, standing atop the bed. A giant Neighbor will bend down and look at you through your window. He will first try to grab you through the door, but to no avail. Eventually, the giant Neighbor will break the window and reach his hand inside and grab you.
n Alpha 1, the first nightmare sequence (more like a cutscene) is after you get caught by Mr. Peterson once. You will get a cutscene of Mr. Peterson walking over to the basement door and walking inside. After the sound of a car crashing plays, Mr. Peterson walks out of the basement wiping his hands.
The second nightmare sequence (carnival) is set in a wide, seemingly infinite plain of tan concrete. The protagonist would spawn in an enclosed area. A "You must be this tall to hide" sign stood where the "game" started. In the "game", Mr. Peterson is counting in the corner, and there were two signs reading "Hide Here" which pointed at two hiding spots: a bed and a closet. This teaches the player the hiding mechanics. A ferris wheel and another attraction can also be seen in the distance.
In Alpha 4, the nightmare maps have been implemented, starting with two in relation to School and Darkness, respectively. Fear School is accessed by opening the door with the green lock. Mannequins move around and will attempt to capture the player when they glow red (pupils) or light-blue or white (the teachers). There is a pattern for their movements; when the bell rings, all of the "pupils" stops, while the "teachers" start moving, then the bell rings again, all of the "pupils" move. While the mannequins move you must hide in the lockers to avoid being caught but must proceed and run from the chasing teacher mannequins. At the end of the map is the exit, but a mannequin appears to tackle the protagonist. It can be pushed off by repeatedly trying to jump, thus granting the ability to break free of Mr. Peterson's clutches once per chase. Fear Darkness is accessed door by opening a door with a red padlock, where the task is to parkour up the shelves of a closet, and then jump onto a light switch, and illuminating the room. Completion of Fear Darkness grants the double-jump ability, first demonstrated when jumping towards the light switch.
The near-full game build adds two more nightmare levels; Fear Supermarket (which is accessed by opening the blue padlock door, and elevate yourself on an electrical platform), and Fear Factory (which is accessed by going through the water vault and going through the door in the vault. In Fear Supermarket, you must gather five items, try to push the cart all the way to the end, and not get caught by the mannequins. You may crouch to not be seen by these moving mannequins. You gain the ability to not be seen by Mr. Peterson while crouching and not moving. In Fear Factory, mannequins surround you, you must throw a basketball to get them away, but only for a while, you must repeat the process until you are able to get to the exit door. You gain the ability to throw farther.
The Fear Factory level has been removed, as the development team noticed it was unentertaining. As such, the power-throw was made a default ability. Fear Supermarket also saw changes: Instead of having to stand still (and not move the mouse) for a second, the player must simply remain still and crouch to become invisible, fewer NPC customers, getting caught only returns the player to the start without moving the cart, NPCs can now steal from the player's cart, the checkout has lights to show which objects the player has collected or needs to collect, and the wares' sizes have been lowered to easier fit in the cart.
Fear Hospital first appeared in Mod Kit. When you downloaded it, a dialog appeared that you could not download the full version of the map. The incomplete version of the map looked just like an empty world, where you can meet floating in the air parts of the location without textures. The fear should have been given the ability to "radiation." It was probably replaced by a dream.
- If you take a dart or a yellow mug with you and keep it to the end of the level in Alpha 4 - Beta 3, these objects will leave their large size, this has been fixed in the full game.
- In Beta 1 and Beta 2, Fear Darkness is impossible to get through.
- The sounds in Fear Darkness are taken from Half-Life 2.
- In Fear Darkness there are two separate rooms: the Large (unlit pantry) and the Little (illuminated pantry).
- The reference to the Fear Supermarket appeared in Alpha 3, in the form of a cash cart.
- The iron door leading to the door to Fear Factory that can be seen in Alpha 2 as a door to the basement.
- All the doors leading to the Fears are light orange, as well as the door to the basement.
- In the closet room, there is a secret passage in which there are holes that look a bit like Roman numerals. In the Beta, three holes were replaced with boards, and the pass became much more useful for the passage of Fear.
- You can find a "Bonus" tank and a can of "Bijuum" in the Supermarket.
- In the Alpha 3 files in Fear School used the Nicky Roth model for the students.
- In the game, there was supposed to be Fear Hospital, but it was replaced by a dream.